Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Azalea confused?

Posted by sirach411 Central TX 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 12:10

There is a bloom on one of my azaleas.....my hubby planted them when we moved in (September), they were full of blooms which of course faded. I thought they only bloomed in the Spring? I do not think this is the Encore variety and even if it is...isn't it to hot out? Should I feed it or just let it be? I hear Azaleas are picky and I have had a beautiful one die before :-( (not here in Texas, we lived in another state). thanks for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Azalea confused?

Some azalea varieties other than Encores will be tricked by Mother Nature into reblooming but nothing huge to speak about. Cooling/rainy weather as you have had in Central Texas can trigger this. I usually see this in September, though not every year of course.

o

Thanks!

o
RE: Is my Azalea confused? Update

When I got up this morning there were even more blooms emerging. Since I keep all of the tags for my plants I decided to look for the azalea....turns out they are Encore :-). I panicked for nothing. Thanks anyway for your help.

o

Well then, enjoy! :o)

Mine are not doing anything yet... :o(

o

Bought some "azelea food" from my local nursery. It has cottonseed meal (of which I just recently learned of all the great benefits)and all sorts of goodies in it. The leaves seem to be really droopy now but thats probably because of all the heat here in Central Texas. I think I will add more mulch after the food....

Vannette
who is fairly new to gardening and would hate to loose her precious azealeas....

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 13:25

Vanette, go easy on the fertilizing - if grown in soil with the right ph/acidity, azaleas often have little need for supplemental 'feeding'. Their nutritional requirements are somewhat low compared to many shrubs.

New growth (which can happen in response to fertilizer) can be stressed by summer heat, which you had already guessed.

o

:-) thanks morz8

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here