Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumpygravy

Full sun on Rhode question

lumpygravy
15 years ago

I just picked up a Capistrano Rhode that I want to plant in the only spot on my whole yard that gets any shade. As of today, 7/14, the sun goes over the house and gives shade from about 1:20pm onwards. My question is, can this Rhode handle full sun in the morning till about 2pm on the longest daylight month of the year. The rest of the year it gets less sun of course, but will always get a good bit of full morning sun.

Comments (10)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

I've read that Capistrano requires a bit of shade (although that is common of many yellows). What I cannot recall is if that need is because of the blooms' yellow color or because of the leaves getting sunscald. Hopefully some Capistrano owners will chime in.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

lumpy, there is a regular contributor here from your state who seems to be taking a few days off. I expect he will be back soon and be able to answer your siting question. Since I can grow almost any azalea or rhododendron in full sun here in my maritime climate, I'm not going make a guess regarding yours :)

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Hi Lumpy,

Capistrano is one of the most popular rhododendrons in nurseries, but most people have less than stellar luck with it. It doesn't do well in windy sites. It will take full sun but may get lace bug. Some shade is ideal. Capistrano reportedly has good disease resistance which is not true of most yellows. Everyone want to try it. Good luck.

Sorry I didn't get to you sooner, I was away for a couple weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• lumpygravy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I live on a hilltop and get non-stop wind all winter long, so I'll have to see if it makes it this winter or not. If it doesn't, what would be some better rhodes to plant in high wind spots?

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

The Valley Forge Chapter of the American Rhododendron Society has published a good doer list of rhododendrons for SE PA. They include the following which tolerate sun and wind:

'Boule de Neige' - excellent reliable white
    'Catawbiense Album' - very good white
    'Nova Zembla' - excellent reliable red
    'Roseum Elegans' - very reliable lavender

On the Capistrano you can try an anti-transpirant spray. One brand I have used is Wilt Pruf. It is used in winter when drying winds and frozen ground deprive plants of their natural moisture intake. It is best to apply once at the start of winter and again in mid winter.

• julieapplegirl
    15 years ago

Anybody know the bloom time for Capistrano in seacoast New Hampshire and the seacoast of southern Maine?

• julieapplegirl
    15 years ago

Anybody know the bloom time for Capistrano in seacoast New Hampshire and the seacoast of southern Maine?

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Capistrano blooms "late midseason" which is probably the last half of May in your area.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The main problems with hot sun on rhododendrons are cooking of the roots and melting of the flowers. This is possible even with those that have sun-resistant foliage.

• mainegrower
    15 years ago

The other reason - perhaps the main one - for siting yellow rhododendrons in shade is that bright direct sun bleaches out the color. The eye sees them as white or cream; shade enhances the yellow.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!