Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Rhododendron (azalea) kiusianum 'Album'

ego45
18 years ago

Anyone with a first hand experience?

Info on a net is somewhat conflicting.

Some sourses quoting 6x6, another saying 'suitable for bonsai', third saying semi-dwarf, prostrate.

I just bought 3 of them and they doesn't look like they are going to be prostrate, nor they doesn't look like 'to be 6x6'.

My intention was to plant them as a group of 3 to create a one wide and not so tall shrub. Now I'm confused.

I still could return them if that wouldn't work.

Please advise.

Comments (9)

• mainegrower
    18 years ago

After around 10 years my one plant of kiusianum album is about 2.5 feet tall and 3 wide. I think this is probably about the maximum height, but it does increase slighty in width each year.

• ego45
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maingrower, thanks, that is a good news. I'm looking to have something like 2x5-6' to fullfill space between two yaku rh. planted 10' apart, so group of 3 will work fast.
    When it blooms for you and would it tolerate a lot of winter sun?
    Does it stay evergreen or loses most of its leaves in a winter?

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Leaves don't stay around much, but really nice otherwise. 6' x 6' plant would be old or drawn up. Listed as 'White form' by Greer, 'Guidebook to Available Rhododendrons': "Quite probably the finest plant in the Azalea series, it will never fail to attract attention."

• mainegrower
    18 years ago

EGO45:
    It generally blooms late May to early June (after yakusimanum). Loses most of its leaves in the winter, as do all forms of kiusanum here even with deep snow cover. Winter sun has never been a problem. The k. album is in a southwestern facing bed so receives quite a bit of winter sun from early afternoon on. Incidentally, this was one of the few rhododendrons to bloom fully after the extreme conditions of Jan/Feb 04.

• ego45
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, gents.
    Sounds like intended spot will work perfectly.
    It will fill space between the yakus and bloom NOT at the same time. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Since they droping most of the leaves, I hope winter sun wouldn't be an issue as they will be in a full sun whole day in a winter untill yakus will be able to provide some shelter.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

I'd think the evergreen rhododendrons would be more likely to get burned than the deciduous one. While both of these particular ones are subzero hardy, generally the deciduous habit is associated with winter conditions (except for deciduous tropicals, that defoliate because of seasonal drought or flooding) that are too severe for broadleaf evergreen foliage. Here on the west coast native broadleaf evergreens are few in number in the PNW, but as soon as you get into Californian conditions (milder winters) in southern Oregon the broadleaf evergreens start to really give the conifers a run for their money, resulting in the 'mixed evergreen forest'.

• leef2_verizon_net
    13 years ago

anyone kow of a retail mail order company that sells shogetsu azaleas

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

satsuki azalea Shogetsu is sometimes called by it English name, Shining Moon.

It is available at Sonoma Horticultural Nursery http://www.sonomahort.com

Sonoma is 60 miles north of San Francisco and does not ship or deliver. So if you are ever in the area, stop by.

• leef2_verizon_net
    13 years ago

looking for mail order place that sells shogetsu azaleas not the whire kind the pink with a darker edge kind thanks lee