Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much water for rhododendron?

Posted by anitje 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 14:33

1. Approx. how much water (in gallons) should I use in watering a rhododendron that is 4-5' tall? I planted it about 2 months ago (with a burlap-encased root ball) in partial shade, and was told to water 2-3x/week. I would guess the soil drainage is fairly normal.

2. How can I tell if I am over-watering or under-watering by looking at the plant?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much water for rhododendron?

It's really impossible to give a number in gallons of water. There are just too many factors involved: soil composition, drainage, water holding capacity, atmospheric moisture, air temperature, etc.

In general, a thorough soaking once a week unless there is substantial rainfall is better than 2 to 3 times per week. If the leaves tend to curl even when temperatures decrease overnight, water is needed. Overwatering is more difficult to detect, but if there is good drainage and you stick to the once a week soaking you should not experience any problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here