Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this rhodo stressed? Should I move it?

Posted by sfsuperstar Pittsburgh PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 07 at 15:35

Hi all, I planted this Nova Zembla about 2 months ago, and I recently noticed that the leaves are starting to curl a bit at the edges. I'm new to rhodos, so I'm wondering if it is stressed or if this is normal for Nova Zemblas. My Percy Wiseman's I planted at the same time don't look like that. But the NZ does have some new growth since planting.

If it is stressed, I don't think it's a water problem, other rhodos around it are fine. I think it might have to do with how I planted it. It's on a slope, and the downslope side of the rootball is not well-buried in the ground. I've got pictures below. I'm wondering if I should replant it a bit deeper, or if that would be more stressful than leaving it how it is. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this rhodo stressed? Should I move it?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 2:58

Looks OK. Don't plant it deeper! You never want to bury the crown.

o

Your plant looks OK. It is not unusual for young leaves to look somewhat distorted. It looks like it really bloomed its head off.

We have had a strange summer with some cool dry weather followed by the heat wave that is coming. During the heat wave, watch for wilting. If the leaves curl in the heat of the day and are OK in the morning, that is OK and does not indicate it needs water. If the leaves are curled or wilted in the morning, then it needs water.

This is important since too much water will lead to root rot and death.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 12:35

It looks fine. It's too close to the hardscaping. It's going to grow. Give it some room. Move it this Fall or Spring.

o

great, thanks for the advice! it's about 2 feet from the wall, i do wish i had planted it about a foot further out, but i don't think i'll move it for fear of killing it. thanks, now i won't worry about it so much!

o

oops, i meant 3 feet from the wall.

o

• Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 18:55

I'd say don't hesitate to move it in fall. As a novice gardener, I've moved several rhodies and it didn't even seem to bother them at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here