Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stems and trunks of Rhodis are yellow brown red..Why?

Posted by libraqueen81 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 15:46

Just bought 6 Rhodi plants at a plant place. Leaves are green a few have a red spot or so on them but they seem lush. My issue is the actual trunk and lower stems which branch out from it are various yellow brown to red color. The bark seems a little split or peeling and I scraped a little away and it is white underneath. Is this maybe because they were watered too much before I bought them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stems and trunks of Rhodis are yellow brown red..Why?

Could be normal. Could be abnormal.
We need pictures to decide.
Please post.some.

o

A number of rhododendron species and frequently the hybrids derived from them have naturally peeling bark. Likewise, the color of the stems and branches before they are fully mature can vary a good deal. Photographs would be useful, but having the names of the varieties you purchased is equally important.

o

On rhododendrons, peeling bark is normally a highly prized attribute. For example the R. barbatum on the left and the R. maddenii on the right are well known for their peeling bark.

However, it can also be a sign of problems such as with Botryosphaeria dieback below on left and bark split on right.

Dieback is often caused by drought and only affects several branches. Bark split is caused by a warm spell in winter which causes the sap to rise, followed by a heavy frost the freezes the sap and splits the bark near the soil line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here