Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron 'PJM' leaf spots

Posted by mary-in-toronto (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 16:29

I have a Rhododendron 'PJM' planted for one year. It has recently developed a bronze colour with spots on the leaves. How should I address this? Thanks in advance.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kNuu8-8wwlzlsBlf3YmxBA?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrBncHt7ub77QE&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fzwqFPxC5GUUwlvX7Lmq7Q?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrBncHt7ub77QE&feat=directlink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron 'PJM' leaf spots

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 1:30

I would worry less about the spotted leaf than the overall health of the shrub. Should be darker green leaves and many more than it does. (no bare bottoms)

How are you watering and/or fertilizing? If at all.

o

The plant looks healthy. The leaves only last 2 or 3 year and then look like what you are seeing when they fall off. Nothing to worry about. Actually fertilizing causes more problems than not fertilizing unless you use a slow release organic material such as Hollytone. They seldom need fertilizing. Their most urgent need is good drainage.

It looks like you have a poor clay soil and very little mulch. They like to be planted in a raised bed with lots of organic matter, excellent drainage, and a good mulch layer.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o

Thanks very much for your replies. It's a relief to know the plant is relatively healthy. The soil tends to be sandy, which I tried to dig out and replace with compost before I planted. I have placed a little peat moss on top and keep the roots protected with pine bows. I think the drainage is OK. It hasn't rained in a few days, though we've had a wet and cool spring. As you can tell, this is my first rhododendron.

o

With sandy soil, drainage is probably not a problem. A good mulch layer will help retain moisture. Peat moss is a soil amendment and not a mulch. A mulch will help keep the roots cool in summer, the soil moist, and prevent frost heave in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here