Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea Problem

Posted by Will07 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 16:37

Does this look like a nitrogen deficiency? I'm planning on top dressing with sheep manure in the next couple of days and I hope it corrects the problem.
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea Problem

Nitrogen deficiency would be (dark) green new leaves with pale or yellowing older leaves.

So, no, not nitrogen deficiency.

The pale leaf edges suggest a root problem. Perhaps due to unfavorable pH, perhaps to something else.

o

It is planted on either side of emerald cedars. There is also hostas, potential, hydrangea, and cotoneaster around the azalea and nothing else is having problems. Perhaps tomorrow I can do some exploratory digging to see if anything is bothering the roots.

o

Azaleas do better with more acid soil than all the others you named.

What's your prevailing sol pH?

o

Yes, symptoms look more like iron chlorosis than anything else and that is a direct effect from soil that is insufficiently acidic.

o

I have added iron chelate to the soil and top dressed with sheep manure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here