Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretchenmi

Hard Pruned Azalea in July!

gretchenmi
17 years ago

I bought an Gibraltar Azalea for $2.00...I gallon size....the branches were brown and "dead" looking...But I stuck my nail in the main trunk a few inches up from the soil and it was green....Hard pruned it and wanted any ideas....I know they can be tricky plants but for $2.00 oh well...worth a shot....I love a challenge!...will plant according to normal instructions and keep an eye on it.....Any suggestions?....thank you....gert

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Dunk the plant into a solution of 1 cap Liquid Seaweed and 1G water for a minute or less prior to planting. Then try to minimize transplant shock by not adding any more fertilizers until Spring (use Holly Tone or cottonseed meal).

I normally would not even consider Liquid Seaweed in July but, if the price of the plant was $2 then it is possible that the soil lacks nutrients and I want to make sure it has a chance. Liquid Seaweed does not have much NPK so hopefully that will not cause problems in the Fall.

When planting, make sure that it is about 1" higher than the surrounding soil and check to see if the plant is pot bound (root bound). I would choose a site that has morning sun & afternoon shade; one that drains well; is not windy; one that is somewhat protected from Z5's wintry weather (in case the plant is still weak in the Fall and not 100% prepared for winter).

Since the plant is in such a weak state, minimize soil moisture problems/errors by manually checking for the first two weeks (using a moisture meter or a finger to a depth of 2") or more. I, me and myself would keep an eye on moisture levels until summer is over but that is because I, me, myself would be a worrying all the time until we get clear signs in Spring that it made it.

I hope your bet pays off! Good luck!
    Luis

• gretchenmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Told you it was a hard prune!...Cut back until I had green.....The seaweed I assume is for nutrients....I could have some trouble finding it around here...kind of the sticks here....It looks so sad right now.....Will definately be looking forward to some signs of life in the next few weeks...It does have the littlest spots on the trunk of new life possible...Got my spot picked out and now I need to dig the shovel out...Thank you{{gwi:396092}}

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

You are welcome. Here in Texas, you can find Liquid Seaweed in stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, feed stores and local nurseries. The link on the previous sentence is the product that I see most of the time here. I suppose it might help to know what you are looking for. Ha! Luis

• gretchenmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Texas.....I lived east of Dallas in Canton for 10 yrs.....I miss it.....Will look & pick some up when I go to Midland.....Should be going in the next day or two...My sister said it couldn't be done....But....I have learned anything is possible and plants can definately surprise you.....time will tell...I did wonder about putting something on the end of the pruned parts though?....Like for roses...?....In that this is quite the experiment....who knows...thanks again...

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

I believe you are thinking about rose cane borer insects that make people add some Elmer's household glue, tree wound paint, wax or nail polish on any pruning cuts that are over the diameter of a pencil. I do not think they attack azaleas but the rhododendron borer can and it will tunnel in from any large branch or from the main trunk, not necessarily from the end of a cut, in order to deposit the larvae. Feel free to cover the wound if you wish. I do that to any shrub/tree where the cut is large.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville