Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodies for N Az?

Posted by dwpc 8a - N Arizona (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 18:18

Much our property is shady pinon pine- juniper forest. It would look great to have some rhododendrons scattered around under the trees if they'd survive the summer heat.and low humidity on the drip system. Any candidate varieties? Foliage is as important as flowering and large size would be a plus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodies for N Az?

The Southgate series of rhododendrons was created to withstand the hot weather of the Southeast and is relatively new to the market, so may be worth taking a look at.

Unless, however, you have acidic soil, no rhododendron is going to grow well. The lack of atmospheric moisture will be another issue. All in all, it's pretty hard to imagine rhododendrons managing in a Southwestern climate.

o

They are going to need so much fussing with in your climate, you really have to ask yourself if its worth it. I suppose it's possible some mountaineous parts of Arizona have a thin layer of acid soil.
Here are some broad leaved evergreens it would make sense to try first:
Heteromeles:
http://cals-cf.calsnet.arizona.edu/arboretum/taxon.aspx?id=488
Arbutus arizonica or A. texensis
various Manzanitas
even Pittosporum tobira (I've seen them in old parks in Barcelona were I suspect they get no supp. water; but you would need to water them. However they are heat & dryness tolerant for something so lush looking)

If *I* were going to try one in zn 8 Arizona, I'd try a Rhododendron arboreum subspecies delavayi or zeylanicum from the RSF. Very heat resistant, and perhaps even more dry heat resistant than the Southgates, which were really bred for the constant high heat & humidity of the SE. These southern R. arboreum strains must endure a hot spell in early summer before the Asian monsoon starts.

o

As you can see, 'Noyo Chief' was voted a Rhododendron of the Year for the Southwest Chapter. (whose very existence is somewhat confounding; perhaps you should reach out to them to get more advice on your situation. You might even find out there's a nearby collector!)

R. arboretum 'Niligiricum' is either another southern Indian subspecies or is now synonymous with 'Zeylanicum'. At any rate, it should resist dry heat well. Of course, it will still need to be watered and have acid soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rhododendron.org/roy08sw.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here