Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lheidner_gw

Rhododendrons turning yellow, falling leaves, looks sad?

lheidner
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I had our landscaping done a month ago, and 3 of the plants are rhododendrons. We asked our landscaping guys how often to water everything, and they said every day. We've been getting more rain than usual in Michigan, and I don't water when it rains. The plants are facing east so they get morning sun and I think they have mostly shade towards the end of the day (blocked by the house).

The rhododendrons seemed to be doing fine at first, but over the past week or so, the leaves are turning yellow to brown and are falling off (or are easy to take off when you touch them). Our Jap Maple is also not as bright burgundy as it was but doesn't seem to be dying like the rhodes are (and I believe they are supposed to get darker in late summer? I'm not sure). I thought I was overwatering so I have stopped watering everyday. The very top layer of mulch is dry and crusty feeling, but then you dig down an inch or deeper and it is moist. Here are some pics, notice the leaves fallen on the mulch. The first pic is a before pic - the rest are now. I don't have a close up of the rhodes when they were planted. Please help!!

{{gwi:396247}}

{{gwi:396248}}

{{gwi:396249}}

{{gwi:396250}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals