Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodies danger to foundation?

Posted by JennNH NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 18:48

I'm a gardening novice and learning by lots of trial and error. My brother in law told me rhodies were harmful to foundations because of "aggressive roots." I hadn't heard that before and wondered if he was confusing them with lilacs (which abound here in NH). Any thoughts? I planted two lovely bushes along my foundation three years ago and they just started to bloom this year. I would be bummed to have to move them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodies danger to foundation?

Rhododendrons pose no danger at all to a foundation. Their roots remain fine and threadlike for the life of the plant and grow only in the upper 8-12" of the soil. As for their alleged aggressiveness, many of us who are devoted to rhododendrons would probably wish they were a bit more so - it often takes a good deal of time for their roots to really take hold after they've been planted out.

o

What aka says was really brought home to me when I visited the Rhododendron Species Foundation a few years ago. They were transplanting some of their largest rhododendrons. They had the roots clamped down on a shipping pallet for the move. The roots were only about 5 inches thick and didn't even extend all the way to the drip line. Here is a photo of a rhododendron that was 8 to 9 feet tall:

o

It's the other way around Jenn. Oftentimes planting a rhodie near limestone foundations results in chlorosis, etc from a high alkaline soil.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 23:40

I thought foundations were made of concrete.
Yes, there is lime in concrete. Very little of it leaches from the foundation. At least not enough to adversely affect the ph to the point rhododendrons suffer. Here in the NW, rhododendrons are a standard foundation shrub.
Left over mortar around a chimney is another matter.
Mike

o

The main ingredient in both mortar and concrete is Portland Cement which is made from limestone, CaCO3. Enough lime can leach from a foundation to effect soil pH when the foundation is relatively new. Once it has weathered for a while, the danger is slight unless excess concrete has been directly dumped into the soil near the foundation - a surprisingly common practice.

o

I second what aka says.

Fresh cement and mortar leach a great deal of alkalinity into the soil. Around homes that are a few years old, the pH is always much higher within a foot or two of the foundation, chimney and walkways. This goes away after a decade or two. Application of powdered sulfur is a good antidote, but is slow acting just as the lime in concrete and mortar is.

Regarding the great Pacific Northwest, there are regions near the coast where the soil has iron sulfates and is so acidic that they actually apply lime before planting rhododendrons and azaleas. They can get chlorosis that is caused by low pH. That is completely alien to those of us in the East.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here