Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to propagate azaleas?

Posted by camineuless DFW ntx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 18:48

We are north of the D/FW metroplex by about 30 miles, where new housing is springing up everywhere "out on the flats" - and where the sun beats down on plants all day without remorse.
I'm literally in the middle of digging clay out of my daughter-in-law's flower bed so didn't take too long to look for a previously posted answer!
Her azaleas aren't doing too well anyway and whilst digging I backed up over a bush and broke a fair sized branch off. Stuck it in water temporarily - and wondered if I could use it to start a new plant-? In water, in dirt, with or without root starter? (Obviously I don't know a thing about azaleas!).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to propagate azaleas?

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 19:31

Your timing (early summer when new growth has stiffened up a bit but isn't woody yet) for breaking a branch was pretty good, and you may be able to get a few cuttings from the broken stem.

Cuttings are generally taken in the early summer when the new growth has had a chance to stiffen up a bit. Take cuttings from the newer growth that comes off of an existing woody stem, do use rooting hormone before planting the cutting in a smaller pot. Cover the pot with plastic (allowing for an air hole).

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea cuttings

o
RE: How to propagate azaleas?

Thank you - just what I needed to know - and the link is a good one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here