Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encore Azaleas--Autumn Embers

Posted by garden_junkie_carrie 5/VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 19:17

We bought 8 of the Autumn Embers Azaleas from Lowe's last year. Right now, 2 are dead; 4 look pretty good; 2 have just a tiny bit of new growth on them with a lot of dead looking branches. We have naturally acidic soil as our 5 acres on top of this mountain are covered with Mountain Laurel and Rhodies. We haven't been using the Mir-Acid religiously. We have been watering them thoroughly every other day as we read somewhere they don't like to get too dry. We have them planted along the front of the house and they only get the afternoon/evening sun. Is that maybe too hot for them? The ones that have leaves look nice and green. Is there something else we can do for them? We were going to return the two dead ones to Lowe's but they don't have any of the Embers in stock right now. We bought the 3 gallon plants for $24.95 each so we're sick that they aren't doing so good right now.
We just put a hot tub in the back yard and I was thinking of planting these around it but I don't want to if they won't perform any better than the ones in front are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encore Azaleas--Autumn Embers

First, watering every other day is way too often. There are three things an azalea needs and they are drainage, drainage, and drainage. They are susceptible to root rot, especially in hot weather. If the roots are wet and hot, the plant is very likely to die of root rot.

If the plants look wilted in the heat of the day, that is normal. It is way they naturally conserve moisture. If they look wilted in the morning, then they are either too dry and need watering, or are dying from too much water. They symptoms are the same.

Also, mulching is very important. It does two very important things:
1) conserves moisture by preventing surface evaporation.
2) keep root zone cool preventing root rot.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas and their problems.

o

Could the fact that all of the Encore Azaleas are listed for growing zones 7-9 and I am in zone 5/6 have anything to do with why they are not performing as I expected? Why would my local Lowe's even carry a plant that is not hardy for this zone?

o

I'm not 100% sure on the growing zones of encore's, I've been looking to purchase some myself and it seems like everyone has a different idea. Some vendors have advertised zone 5 and up, others zone 7 and up :(

o

That would only explain any plants that didn't make it through the winter. Since our recent winters haven't been especially bad, I doubt that is the problem now, it could be in the future. Since they are zone 7-9 plants, heat shouldn't be the problem.

Big box stores do this all the time. Many parts of Virginia are zone 7. They don't have different inventories for each store.

o
RE: Encore Azaleas-- zones 5 & 6

marciemyrtle,

The Encore people have their own website at:

http://www.encoreazalea.com/encore/

It doesn't list any Encore azaleas for zones 5 and 6. Some bloom but do not show the repeating characteristic further north.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here