Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livinez_gw

Hybrids of Rhododendron Strigillosum in a Northeast Garden

livinez
13 years ago

Hi,

Have been growing hybrids of Rhododendron strigillosum for several years. Have posted some photos taken this Spring here: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeub4ov/thegarden2010/

You will need to scroll down, as I have some other photos of the garden also on the site. Have had great success with Rhododendrons 'Harold Amateis', 'Taurus', 'DoubleWinner', 'Malahat' for several years. Last Fall I obtained Rhododendrons 'Etta Burrows', 'Peter Faulk', 'Red Majesty', 'Maxine Childers'.

With the exception of R. 'Peter Faulk', none showed any foliage damage from last Winter. R. 'Peter Faulk' also lost all flower buds but one, while R. 'Etta Burrows', lost all flower buds above the snow line (under 2 feet of snow for six weeks here in Bucks County. All plants have shown excellent growth this year. R. 'Peter Faulk' has recovered nicely. With the exception of Rhododendrons 'Harold Amateis' and 'Taurus', my greater concern is their tolerance of our hot, humid Summers (as I type this, it's 102 degrees). R. 'Harold Amateis' (R. maximum x R. strigillosum) has foliage most similar to the species, with fantastic new growth, while, in my garden, Rhododendrons 'Taurus' and 'Etta Burrows' have the most brilliant red coloring.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!