Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
azalea novice could use some advice

Posted by arbordayle 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 19:37

I have several large 12 yr old evergreen azaleas. If I remember correctly, the name is Dorothy Haydn. Except for some fertilizer in spring and occasional light pruning, I have basically ignored these plants and they have always performed beautifully. This year I noticed quite a few dead branches and they seem to be struggling. It is too late in the season for major pruning, so I was just outside pruning off some of the dead branches. I noticed that quite a few of the lower branches have rooted in the ground. A couple of questions for any azaleas experts out there:

Is there anything I should do now to try and revive these plants? I would hate to lose them- these azaleas are late bloomers and play a major role in my early summer mixed border. If not now, how about in the fall or next spring.

Also, can I separate the rooted branches and establish new plants? If so, when would be the best time to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: azalea novice could use some advice

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 22:36

Your Dorothy Hayden azaleas are Robin Hill hybrids that usually stay mounded and compact, little to no pruning required. If you do wish to guide their shape, best done immediately after blooming, and of course it's always a good idea to remove anything dead or damaged immediately so as not to offer a foothold for secondary disease or insects.

Keeping them mulched to conserve moisture and cool the root zone helps, if they are struggling, have they had enough water in the last several months? Not tolerant of drought...

Wait till the weather cools some before attempting to move any 'plantlets' that have self layered. You could move or pot them up this Fall, or even wait till early Spring if your winters are harsh. Use pruners to cut them from the parents, plant no deeper than they were growing while still attached to the main plant.

o
RE: azalea novice could use some advice

Thanks for the info. You're right, they have stayed compact all these years with very little pruning and the white flowers are very large, blooming over several weeks in early June. I think I'll wait until next spring to move the plantlets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here