Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with sick PJM

Posted by upstategirl_zn5 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 20:38

Hello, I have not posted before but I am very worried about my PJMs. I have three lovely PJMs that were planted while in bloom early this spring. In upstate NY, we have had a ton of rain and the plants were doing beautifully and have nearly doubled in size. But now, there are many reddish and yellowish leaves with dry looking brown spots on them. Many of these leaves are dropping off. Could this be rust? Insects? What can I do to help the problem?

I am so worried about my lovely PJMs!

Thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with sick PJM

Red-brown or plain brown spots sound like leaf spot. Very common when the weather gets humid but goes away when the dry summer weather arrives. I would throw away the dead leaves in the trash, clean up plant debris that may harbor spores, replace the mulch with new mulch and make sure there is good ventilation around the plant.

With all the rain, you need to also be careful of the possibility of root rot. Make sure the soil is not wet wet or that it remains wet because that can cause root rot; luckily for you, PJM is highly resistant Phytophthora crown rot.

Since we are in the summer months, flower buds production has probably started so now is the time to maintain the soil moist and not fertilize until next Spring. Fertilizer added now will just stress the plant some more, make it grow tender leaves that will not survive the winter months and can even cause a problem called bark split.

Let us know if you notice any other new symptoms.

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here