Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too close for comfort?

Posted by ehamm 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 21:00

I have a south facing bed next to my house that is about 3 feet wide. The bed is between my house and a concrete walkway (so it goes my house, 3 feet of bed, then concrete walkway). I was hoping to plant a low and narrow boxwood hedge up next to the concrete with azaleas between the boxwoods and the house. Is that enough space for the azaleas or will they not be happy jammed up against the wall? What if I lose the boxwoods? Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too close for comfort?

Boxwoods and azaleas have some similarity in their requirements but, of interest to you, is that the two shrubs have shallow roots. You can probably grow them together but try not to plant them too close or else their roots will get entangled and begin to compete for resources (food and water).

You do not mention anything about sunlight. I assume that the azaleas will receive morning sun and afternoon shade; the boxwoods can handle full sun but probably do better with a little shade.

Be aware that azaleas also require well draining, moist, acidic soils. Boxwoods require slightly acidic conditions like pH ranges between 6 to 7 and will tolerate other types of pH ranges. Azaleas will be more picky about this so, if your soil is not acidic, consider planting in raised beds instead. See the post script note at the bottom.

As for the space and the question whether it will be enough, well, it will be enough if both types of shrubs are selected based on similar height at maturity. Since you already have boxwoods, choose azaleas that will grow about as tall as the boxwoods. Maybe shoot for 1-3' high Kurume Azaleas?

Just remember that all this depends on meeting the sunlight requirements (morning sun and afternoon shade; dappled sun works well too) and soil requirements (well draining, moist, acidic soils; or use raised beds).

Luis

PS - Concrete from the house and the walkway releases lime as time goes on. Lime helps make soils less acidic so be aware too that you may need to amend the soil there once a year or so in order to prevent the pH from becoming too alkaline (the opposite of acidic). You can get around this problem with raised beds too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here