Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting a Florist Azalea Outside

Posted by czygyny Sunset 7 +- (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 21:26

I received an interesting azalea as a gift due to a death in the family. It is an oddball with little rose shaped flowers. It's stopped blooming now, but I want to know if it would be better to plant it in the fall or wait until winter to transplant outside. Our climate is hot and dry in the summer but relatively mild in the winter (20� for short periods of time) but not sure if they could do with a relatively warm period to establish. I know about soil prep, but since they are a tough plant in our area, climate wise, I thought I'd better ask.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting a Florist Azalea Outside

This is most likely a so-called florist's azalea. These are not at all likely to survive if planted out. Why not put it outside in its pot during the summer and enjoy it indoors for the winter? With proper care - including repotting when necessary- florists azaleas can live for a very long time,

o

I actually was successful in getting another florists azalea to grow outside, but it wasn't easy to get it established. This one I'd like to make sure it survives, but I have a lot of other plants that already need to be brought in in the winter. I've never seen this type with the little rose shaped flowers. The only thing I don't like about the plant is the genetics that twist up the flowers make the foliage look unhappy, but it seems to be doing just fine.

o

If you want to make sure it survives, let it grow some more in a pot/container, propagate it via cuttings and then transplant the children plants to the ground when the new plants are old enough, keeping the original shrub in the container. Look at pictures of an azalea called Rosebud to see if it resembles the one that you have. There is also another similar one called White Rosebud (with white flowers that have a green dot in the center).

o

Yes, the flowers look very much like the 'Rosebud' according to an image search.Thanks for the info!
I can't put it or anything in the ground for a long time, at any rate. It's been the driest and hottest California summer I can remember, in my five decades of life!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here