Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

Storm broke off a branch, can I do something with it?

frank325
15 years ago

We just had a bad storm tonight, and a branch broke off my plant. It is a big branch just off the main stem, with two smaller branches coming out it (a Y shape). Nothing is new growth that I'm aware of, it's all very woody. Is there anything I can do with this ? Or do I just toss it?

Comments (3)

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's my rhododendron fyi... I'm not sure how old it is, I've lived here 3+ years and it was here before I moved in.

• lilc5
    15 years ago

Hi everyone
    I purchased a 2.5 gallon Rhododendrom from home depot. I got it in May and it flowered prefusely in late May/ early June. Once the flowered finished I did not prune. Was I suppose to? I have been watering and also fertilizing with Bud & Bloom once or twice a month. Today I noticed that buds are starting to develop again. Not sure if they will be ready before the cold weather of fall in Novemeber hits. Is it normal for this shrub to flower twice in the summer? When is the right time to prune and how much?
    Thanks
    Carolina

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Frank, July is a reasonable time to take rhododendron cuttings so your storms timing wasn't way off. Semi ripewood - they aren't a shrub where cuttings are completely easy and foolproof, but what have you got to lose :)

Be sure to cleanly cut anything that may have been left broken or jagged on your main plant with sharp pruners too so as not to leave an entry point for secondary insect or disease problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuttings for beginners