Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storm broke off a branch, can I do something with it?

Posted by frank325 Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 21:56

We just had a bad storm tonight, and a branch broke off my plant. It is a big branch just off the main stem, with two smaller branches coming out it (a Y shape). Nothing is new growth that I'm aware of, it's all very woody. Is there anything I can do with this ? Or do I just toss it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storm broke off a branch, can I do something with it?

It's my rhododendron fyi... I'm not sure how old it is, I've lived here 3+ years and it was here before I moved in.

o
i am new to rhododendrom please help

Hi everyone
I purchased a 2.5 gallon Rhododendrom from home depot. I got it in May and it flowered prefusely in late May/ early June. Once the flowered finished I did not prune. Was I suppose to? I have been watering and also fertilizing with Bud & Bloom once or twice a month. Today I noticed that buds are starting to develop again. Not sure if they will be ready before the cold weather of fall in Novemeber hits. Is it normal for this shrub to flower twice in the summer? When is the right time to prune and how much?
Thanks
Carolina

o
RE: Storm broke off a branch, can I do something with it?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 11:43

Frank, July is a reasonable time to take rhododendron cuttings so your storms timing wasn't way off. Semi ripewood - they aren't a shrub where cuttings are completely easy and foolproof, but what have you got to lose :)

Be sure to cleanly cut anything that may have been left broken or jagged on your main plant with sharp pruners too so as not to leave an entry point for secondary insect or disease problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuttings for beginners

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here