Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help id Summer blooming Rhododendron?

Posted by plumism z4-5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 22:11

This evening I saw a large leaf rhododendron in bloom-the middle of July! I never thought about summer blooming rhodies. Does anyone know what cultivars would be blooming this late and are hardy to zone 4-5? Thanks you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help id Summer blooming Rhododendron?

R. arborescens and R. prunifolium are some of the latest blooming ones. Rebloomers like the Encore Azaleas could also be reblooming around now.

o

Most likely species in MA with large evergreen leaves is r. maximum or one of the maximum hybrids such as Maxecat.A good way to tell is that the blossoms are usually partly obscured by the current year's leaves. This is a species native to all the northeastern states - a small native stand even in southwestern ME. R. maximum is a July bloomer, probably even later than usual this year because of the unusually cool, wet conditions.

o

Agree with mainegrower in that the most likely candidate for a elip (large leafed rhody) IS probably r. maximum. I have the species currently blooming (via seed from Mt. Mitchell in NC) which I picked up a couple of years ago from RareFinds' Dog Sale (and which is currently flowering for the first time this year).

There are more than a few leps now blooming in the garden as I have r.prunifolium, r. arborescens, r. 'Lady Barbara', r. Weston's Lemon Drop and r. millenium currently aflower.

o

That's nice. Have you taken a picture of the Rarefinds Purchase in bloom that you can share? Or the other ones?

o

R. maximum blooms late (late June to early July) with small flowers that are more star shaped than most rhododendron flowers.

Rarefind's Rhododendron maximum (species)

Rarefind's Maximum Roseum (hybrid)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rarefind Nursery in Jackson, NJ.

o

I do have Luis. I'll post something in the next couple of days as I've always been 'challenged' relative to getting photos 'up' on this site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here