Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellabloom_gw

Rhodo blooming in late July? Ruin bloom for next season?

bellabloom
15 years ago

I planted 2 Ramapo Rhododendrons around the beginning of June. I admit they didn't look the hardiest when I bought them - the selection was dismal and I picked the best out of the bunch. When I had purchased them they had already finished blooming and I carefully deadheaded the dried and browned blooms.

We did have to amend the heavy clay soils we have, adding load upon load of nice rich compost and other organic components because the nitrogen and phosphorus levels were extremely low to non-existent.

With the soil amendments and with diligent watering, within the last 2 weeks they have really taken off with some new fresh foliage and they don't looks so frail anymore. Today when I was out deadheading my perennials I noticed that one of my Rhodos actually has a few small blooms.

I have a feeling that all the soil amending made my soil a little "too" rich for the rhodos which in turn forced them into a late summer bloom.

How will this affect the bloom for next spring? Is there anything I should do - late fall fertilizing or something - to help assure a spring bloom or is next spring's bloom already shot with this late summer bloom?

Thank you for any suggestions and advice,

Amy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES