Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I know if the lacebugs are dead?

Posted by aggierose (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 22:31

I realized about a month ago that all of my azaleas had really bad lacebugs. I haven't used insecticides on them for 4 years, but I did this time because the infestation was so bad. How can I tell if they are dead? I don't want to put down more insecticide unless I have to, but I have no idea how to tell if the job is done. Also, the discoloration of the leaves will never go away, right?

I have the same quesiton about scale. My camelia also had a heavy infestation of tea scale so it got the insecticide too. Again, how do I tell if they are dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know if the lacebugs are dead?

The adults may be dead but the eggs that hatch around August may not be so, be ready to apply the insecticide again. Since lace bugs are small and the nymphs are even smaller, the best way to identify them is if the leaf damage continues or reappears. They suck leaf juices from the underside of leaves so you need to look there when searching.

For tea scale in camellias, I apply oil emulsion sprays when the temperatures are below 85 degrees, as spraying at other times may burn the leaves. Reapply in 60 days if the problem persists but no more than three times a year. Scale also sucks leaf juices from the underside. There are several types of scale that attack camellias and they look different from each other. There is Camellia Scale, Peony Scale, Tea Scale and Wax Scale. You can locate pictures in the Internet by keying on phrases like "camellia scale pictures" or "camelia scale images". You can tell they are dead when you can no longer see them under the leaves and, of course, when the damage ceases and does not get worse.

The leaves will not recover much but, eventually, the existing leaves will be replaced by new leaves. In the case of deciduous azaleas, you will get new leaves in Spring. In the case of evergreen camellia sasanquas, they tend to drop the oldest leaves after a year or two, around May/June, so it may be a while before any damaged leaves are replaced.

o
RE: How do I know if the lacebugs are dead?

The best way to eliminate lace bug is to move the plants to more shade. Some azaleas are more resistant to lace bug and do well in full sun, others require more shade. If you used a good contact insecticide on the undersides of the leaves you should have good control. A systemic insecticide should work also. I used to spray for lace bug when I was being inspected regularly by the Pennsylvania Agricultural Inspectors. Now that I don't sell any plant, I don't spray. I just try to place the plants in places where they are happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Problems and Their Solutions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here