Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhod Maximum success, and one failure.

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 0:16

I have successfully grown a Rhod. Maximum that was dug from the woods and one that came from Rarefind nursery, however, one died, from the woods, too much sun, I think. I cannot seem to grow a Hemlock tree. Wrong link for Hemlock, but I thought they both liked the same soil conditions. I posted on the conifer forum about the Hemlock. Maybe they need shade too? Any ideas, anyone, on Hemlock trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhod Maximum success, and one failure.

The ones dug in the wild have a much lower survival rate because you are severely disturbing the roots. To be successfully moved, you need to retain most of the smallest roots. In the wild they extend far from the plant and many are virtually impossible to keep. The standard way to improve the odds is to root prune the plant several months before you move it. This involves cutting a circle into the ground around the plant at its drip line with a shovel. This causes the plant to form a root mass inside the drip line which is easier to move.

R. maximum is normally tolerant of sun and shade. However, a plant that has just been moved is highly stressed and may be dissicated by the sun to the extent it dies. When moved, rhododendrons need to be monitored to make sure they don't get too dry. But over watering will kill them also.

o

Thanks for replying Rhodyman. I am in the north and sun should be not a big deal, but the wild dug survivor is in mostly shade, the crispy critter wild rhody was planted the same time as the survivor, from the same wooded area. They both were shaded by a milk crate ( each separate crate) with a webbed shade cloth over the crate. They were both spring 2012 transplants to my yard. This year the 2 were uncovered in spring 2013. The survivor is shaded by a Chestnut oak besides brief morning sun, the Crispy one is under a Black oak that hasn't gotten wide enough for shading it yet. Well, I should've planted on the other side of the tree, which IS shaded more. Sorry for taking so long to explain. The rare finds Rh. Maximum is 100% shade all day under a Pin oak. I can't find any other conclusion to come to but that they favor tons of shade. As for the Hemlock tree, I may try the full shade thing, just as an experiment in my yard.

o

I have grown one that I dug from the wild. But the first year I put it in a pot. Maybe even 2 years. Then I planted it. I think that helps sometimes.

Yes, hemlocks like shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here