Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strangely ROLLED Rhodie leaves

Posted by janzer 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 2:47

I have raised rhodies for several decades and I have yet to see this.

I have a 2 year old rhodie planted in part sun/part shade. This year it bloomed and has looked just great. Then suddenly I noticed that the upper level of leaves have begun to ROLL inward, like the shape of a HARD taco shell. They are not pinched together like gall midge, have no spots, no insect damage, and have not fallen off. They are not reacting to sun, draught or water. They just stay partially rolled. In fact, new leaves are emerging and look fine.

Any ideas what might be going on with my new shrub?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strangely ROLLED Rhodie leaves

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 10:38

Leaf roll and droop is normal when rhododendrons are exposed to extreme heat, extreme cold, or drought. It is a natural reaction that helps prevent desiccation under these conditions of extreme stress. The roll and droop should go away when the extreme condition is absent.

But, the same condition can also be caused by root fungi which thrive in warm moist conditions.

o
RE: Strangely ROLLED Rhodie leaves

No, these leaves have been doing this regardless of heat, or draught or whatever the amount of water. I will explore the root fungus idea.

These leaves roll differently than they do when affected by heat or draught. As I said, they roll into a shape that imitates a HARD TACO SHELL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here