Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendrons that bloom all summer!

Posted by jenniferann_gardener RI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 8:35

I just purchased 2 rhododendron plants fron an online nursery that claim they bloom all summer!! Has anyone heard of these rare white variety???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendrons that bloom all summer!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 15:12

No, and the description sounds doubtful or at least exaggerated. What is the name of the rhododendron, and is your online vendor one that's known to be reliable?

o

Another "no". But there are some azaleas that will rebloom several times during the growing season. Encore Azaleas will bloom as usual in Spring and then twice again over here. After each flush, they wait 1-2 months before blooming again. I have one that just finished reblooming and expect one last/final flush in Sept-Nov. But I would hardly claim that they spent the whole summer blooming. The blooms last between 1-2 weeks.

o

The website is brighterblooms.com. They do not give a specific name of the plant just "white rhododendron" I should have done a little research before I bought them.

o

I think I found the page that you were talking about. The plant was referred to as "Rare Rhododendron...Blooms all Summer" but then on the right-hand side of the page, it says "Blooms: Spring". It sounds like a contradiction, does it not? Hmmm, I decided to go to Garden Watch Dog and was not impressed:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6413/

It shows ZERO Positive and Zero Neutral customer reviews. Only Negative reviews in the past month, in the past 6 months and in the past 12 months.

You may want to confirm that this is not a typo. If it is, take appropriate action (cancel the order or accept the purchase).

Luis

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 12:49

I wish you had asked before ordering so you could have been warned and avoided disappointment. I'm not impressed with the reputation of the seller, or their casual/incomplete descriptions of plants. Or the prices on some of those plants, many of which could be found at box stores way cheaper, no shipping.

There are many very good online vendors where I will buy plants that cannot be found locally. My strictest rule though is I don't buy plants or seeds from any place that does not give me the full botanical name...i.e. rather than white rhododendron, the description should have read along the lines of Rhododendron Cunninghams White (caucasicum x ponticum var. album).

I see they have a $10 cancellation fee on orders canceled before shipping, 25% restocking fee on shipped orders returned. If you were charged $76.85 for two unnamed one-gallon rhododendrons with shipping, losing the $10 might be the way to go.

o

Thank you for your input. This company has a horrible reputation! I am cancelling my order today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here