Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting azaleas

Posted by thedens z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 9:35

I have some azaleas in my front yard that I would like to move to the back. When is the best time of year to do this, and are there any special instructions to follow? Don't assume I know anything, I'm new to the whole gardening thing. ;-)

Denna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting azaleas

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 10:32

You can relocate azaleas any time of year when they are not in active growth (the period immediately following bloom) or the ground is not frozen. But if this isn't an emergency, I'd wait until the weather is cooler and you are a little closer to Fall rains...moving them now is going to require extra attention to watering, possibly even daily.

The plants shallow rootball will extend out as far as the branches reach, but if weight is a consideration you can take a smaller rootball safely. Aim for a rootball with a diameter equal to two-thirds the plants height. Drag on cardboard or a tarp to the new site if they are larger than wheel barrow size. Unless quite small, don't lift by the main stem, weight of soil and root ball could be damaging to roots.

Don't plant any deeper than it was originally growing, allow for settling if moving to a newly worked bed. Water well, keep moist, mulch.

o

Thanks for the advice. :-) It's not an emergency, so I'll let it wait till September. The bushes are still small, they came with the new house and the builder planted them in the spring, I think. They're in full sun and definately not happy there (they tend to wilt, even with watering, and two have died), so since I wanted to redo that bed anyway, I figured I'd put them in my future shade garden, where they'd look nicer and might do better.

o

If you are in Georgia, I'd wait until the second half of October or even November.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here