Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encouraging lush foliage with a rhodo?

Posted by joel_bc z6 BC (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 9:50

Assuming that: a) you have a well chosen variety of rhododendron for your climate and for the spot you've planted it in, and b) you got a good hardy specimen from the nursery - what is the best way to encourage lush foliar growth and secondary and tertiary branches?

Is the secret soil pH, pruning, or nutrient supply (feeding)? Or...?

I've had a few rhododendrons, a couple of which had a bit of a life before deer ate them down to sticks. So I do have some experience. Right now, I'm more interested in a good start to the structure and healthy green growth than I am in blooms... although I appreciate the blooms when they're there. But give me advice about shoots and leaves, please. Thanks.

Joel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encouraging lush foliage with a rhodo?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 0:31

Joel, healthy happy rhododendrons are those planted in aerated soil (structure loose enough that air can enter spaces between particles as water drains out), and that means high in organic content. Acid soil, cool and moist with shelter from wind and excessive sun.

Given those conditions, there is seldom a need to fertilize. Nitrogen will promote foliage growth (active growth occurs in Spring) but it's not a good plan to try forcing these shrubs with supplemental 'feeding' and especially not now (August) in a Z6.

So your answer, once your shrubs have been correctly sited, is pruning, or better yet pinching. Some rhododendrons are just naturally leggy while others branch readily and grow into compact bushy forms. By pinching or breaking out leaf buds in the first few years after planting, you can shape potentially leggy plants into a more well balanced shape.

As growth buds begin to elongate in Spring, pinch out the terminal buds. A plant hormone is produced by leaf buds which inhibits development of dormant buds along the stem (flower buds don't produce the hormone - leave those fat blunt nosed flower buds alone:)).

If you start when the plant is young and keep it up about three years, you may only then need to occasionally pinch leaf buds which would grow out to unbalance the plant. As healthy rhododendrons mature, they being to produce more terminal flower buds and less terminal leaf buds and will require less of your attention to shaping.

o
RE: Encouraging lush foliage with a rhodo?

Good post morz. Right on the money.

And a big hello to the Pacific NW. I have friends on Whidbey and miss being out there at this time of the year.

It's hot, hazy & humid this past week, with supplemental watering being the case (we missed last nite's sporadic downpours)....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here