Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yewmonger

Is This What's Chewing On My Rhody?

yewmonger
9 years ago

Hi All.

I recently posted about some small holes in my Rhody's leaves.

I got some reassurance, and it doesn't seem to be a big problem. A few more small holes have appeared, but not at the same alarming rate as when I made my post.

This morning I went out there and found this magnificent beast near a new hole. What the heck is it? Is a living specimen worth millions :) ?

Thanks.

{{gwi:397034}}

Comments (7)

• rhodyman
    9 years ago

I looks similar to a Japanese beetle but that is highly unlikely since most evergreen ornamentals, including Abies (fir), Juniperus, Taxus, Thuja (arborvitae), Rhododendron (including azaleas), Picea (spruce), Pinus (pine) and Tsuga (hemlock) are not attacked by Japanese beetles. Most Japanese beetle damage is skeletal in nature, not complete holes.

It is also unlikely that it is weevil damage since they usually chew on the edges of a leaf.

It is a Cranberry Rootworm, Rhadopterus picipes, shiny and black with a greenish sheen. These beetles are about 3/16 inch long. It is unusual to see one since they feed at night and hide in litter or under containers during the day. These beetles damage leaves by chewing oval or crescent-shaped holes. They are usually associated with container nursery stock in areas with dense shade. Remove ground litter and weeds from the area and reduce shade where possible. Treat late in the day and repeat once or twice weekly. Or better yet go out after dark with a flashlight and pick them off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Rootworm

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

That looks more like a true bug, rather than a beetle. That 'X' design is a giveaway. If it is one of the truebugs, they don't chew plant tissue at all.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

It's a nymph (youngster) of one of the stink bugs,none of which make holes.

• yewmonger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, googling stink bug nymph turns up pictures of it. Thanks very much!

• rhodyman
    9 years ago

However, the damage is most likely from a Cranberry Rootworm. The holes they make are a distinctive shape. They feed on the underside of the leaf at night, so it is highly unlikely you would see one in the daytime on top of a leaf. Here is what the Cranberry Rootworm looks like:

photo by Stephen Bambara, Extension Entomologist at NC State Extension.

• yewmonger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. What would constitute ground litter? The only thing around the plant is pine needles. I went out there near midnight last night and didn't find any bugs. Is it possible that the time for them to chew holes has passed?

This post was edited by yewmonger on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 10:36

• rhodyman
    9 years ago

Ground litter is anything a 3/16" beetle can hide under during the day. Usually it is fallen leaves and flower parts. You should still have a mulch layer. The mulch should be open enough to allow water to penetrate but not so open it serves as a hiding place for these beetles. When removing ground litter, also remove any beetles that show up.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions