Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rolacoy

Encore Azaleas are not blooming

rolacoy
13 years ago

My Encore Azaleas have not bloomed for at least 6 months. We went on a trip from July 15th to August 12th. My daughter was watering them during that time using the misting system that I have. When we left they looked great, Green and lots of leaves, but no blooms.

When we returned they still have not bloomed and they had lost a lot of leaves, still no blooms.

Comments (5)

• rolacoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also noticed that the ones that are in full sun have a lot of brown leaves. The leaves seem to be getting a brown spot in the center of the leaf that spreads to the whole leaf and then it falls off. I am not sure how well they were watered while we were out of town. I have been water them, but not over watering. It has not rained here in 3 weeks and the temperature has been over 100 degrees most of that time.

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

My Encore's tend to start blooming in April, just before the temperatures go into the 90s in May. Then if the temperatures stay hot, they do not rebloom until late August or September (when the Fall temperatures arrive). When we have July weather that lowers the temperatures for several weeks, I get a flush then but not this year.

The extra flushes may not produce a big show as the one in Spring does. I once got a small flush in the middle of summer (a dozen or less flowers) but I noticed it by accident as I tend to stay indoors during that time. I would have surely missed it if something had not made me check around the Encores.

I may get yet another flush near early to mid November in some years. Again, the weather has to cooperate. If not then the September flush is the last one.

Luis

• rolacoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Someone give me some help here. I have a moisture probe and it tells me if the ground is wet or dry. It may not be very accurate, but surly is some help.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

The best moisture probe is the azalea itself.

If the leaves are wilted in the morning, the ground is either dry or the plant has a problem.

If the leaves perk up by the next morning after being watered, then they were dry.

If they don't, the plant is either diseased or the root ball has dried out and is not taking water. You have to dig the plant up to tell the difference.

If the leaves are just wilted in the heat of the day, that is normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

When a leaf turns brown in the center, it is usually caused by sun scald. That can be caused by pruning the plant and exposing leaves suddenly to more light, or by moving the plant to a sunnier location, or by removing shade around the plant.

Large leaved rhododendrons are also susceptible to sunscald if the plants do not receive enough moisture. The leaves curl and turn yellow near the main vein. As the condition worsens, the yellow spot get larger, turns brown and spreads to the whole leaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron and Azalea Problems

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area