Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

planting az in the fall

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Hi, my son gave me an azalea for mothers day this year. It was from a box store and was pretty sad loking when I got it. It almost looked as tho it had been thru a frost. And quite possible here in Montana. I haven't planted it in the ground yet, but I am planning on doing it this fall. It has been in a 1/2 barrel with the pot burried as tho it were planted, and then covered with bark mulch.

The tag (as I recall, I have misplaced it) said full sun, and it did good in the west facing location I had it in all summer. Now I want to get it put of the pot and into the ground. It could stand a good prunning, some of the branches are very long and leggy. Maybe due to the exposure?? Should I prune it, wait and then transplant it later in the fall? Or transplant it now and prune in the later fall? Or wait to prune until next spring?

I don't have a picture of it, but it had orange almost tropical/hawiian large flowers on it, when the flower pedals fell off there were long stringy things hanging down, and shortly after it had seed pods (I think thats what they are), they have ribs and are about 2" long. They are still green. If/when I do prune it, should I leave those alone or cut them off?

Thanks to any and all for whatever advise you can send my way.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting