Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three4rd

established rhododendron leaves curling up and falling off

three4rd
16 years ago

Hi:

I have a 10+ year old rhododendron. This summer was very hot and dry in our area. The rhododendron did receive waterings when the leaves started to look a bit limp.

Over the past few weeks, however, I notice that while much of the plant looks good (leaves appear normal), parts of the plant just seem to be dying off - leaves curl up and then just fall off. The ground around the plant is full of them. This doesn't make sense to me since lately we've gotten a good bit of rain and the temps have been cooler.

I seem to remember that each year I do lose some branches this way, but it seems to be more than usual. In the spring, it did bloom as much as usual and then added alot of new growth.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping that the process will end soon and that whatever is left will stay that way. Much of the plant still looks good, but I'm worried that this leaf-curl tendency will keep spreading. I was thinking that it might be best to just clean up all the dead leaves and prune out whatever looks dead or dying??

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• jean001
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only way to know if it has adequate water is to check the soil with a trowel. This is true in spite of any watering and/or rain which has ocurred.

• giardinierenuovo
    16 years ago

I have a beautiful Rhododendrum that is at least 20 years old and have only pruned dead branches and removed some dry leaves from the base in the last two years. There are still most branches that are very much alive, especially in the front as I actually appear to have 4 or 5 different Rhodies lined up in a half circle that I used to think was only one plant. It is at least 9 ft high in some areas and there is a lot of new growth at the roots - small plants bright green foliage seems to cover up the ground where I recently (and very carefully) removed a lot of old mulch and leaves that seemed to be drowning the entire area. It is definitely drying out in certain areas and appears to spread to random spots (most is in the back of the half circle where there is more shade). I cannot identify why these random areas on different branches throughout the different plants drying out. I am still not even very sure whether it is one plant or not. It would does not make sense that it needs water; otherwise, why would there be any new growth? If the rootball is dry, wouldn't the new growth be stumped? Thank you.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Yellowing and dropping of leaves is normal toward the end of the second summer on the small-leaved lepidote rhododendrons. These should have dense enough habit that this doesn't matter. The larger-leaved elepidote rhododendrons keep their leaves for 3 or 4 seasons. Like all evergreen plants, rhododendrons and azaleas periodically lose some of their foliage, and the leaves may turn yellow, red, or purple before they fall. Often the only leaves that remain are those that surround the flower buds at the tips of the branches. This characteristic is linked to the genetics of the parents used to breed garden azaleas. The degree of leaf coloration or loss is a function of parentage and not the severity of the winter. In unusually cold winters, certain azaleas may lose more leaves than they would in mild winters.

Most diseases that harm rhododendrons cause the leaves to yellow, droop, curl, and eventually turn brown, but, oddly enough, they usually don't drop the leaves.

Some things that can kill individual branches are:

DROUGHT: Drought can cause entire branches or entire plants to die. We have had several years of drought here and we observe that if rhododendrons and azaleas are not watered during a drought some plants will die, but others will just have one section of the plant die. It seems to be the plants way to conserve what little moisture it has. Prolonged drought weakens plants and often results in the appearance of fungal cankers on the branches of older azaleas. Look for branches that wilt in hot, dry weather in late summer and be sure to water azaleas if drought drags on more than a few weeks. Prune out the affected branches to stop the spread of fungal canker diseases.

BORERS: If a Rhododendron Stem Borer, Oberea myops, or Rhododendron Borer, Synanthedon rhododendri, is in a branch, the entire portions of a plant beyond (away from the roots) will wilt and die. Borers only affect the portion of the plant away from the roots from the borer. If the borer is in the main trunk, then the entire plant will wilt and die. The plant can be save by cutting off the area with the borer and letting the plant regenerate from the roots. There are no conventional insecticides that will kill stem borer larvae once they are inside the branches. The best control option for homeowners with only a few plants is to prune out and destroy wilting branches in early spring or late summer.

FUNGUS:

Buds and twigs becoming covered with silver-gray scales is caused by one of the water molds: Altenaria Blight or Botrytis Blight or Twig Blight and is easy to control with fungicide sprays and proper sanitation by removing and disposing of all dead material.

Phytophthora cactorum causes the central vein of a leaf to turn brown and the discoloration extends to the petiole on tender new growth. The infections spreads outward from the midrib tissue and the leaf wilts. Infections are more severe on azaleas. Some varieties of rhododendrons are vulnerable (Chionoides, Catawbiense Album, Nova Zembla) and some are resistant (Roseum Elegans, Scintillation, PJM). Control of the disease is difficult. Since the infection goes from the roots to the tips, when you see the symptoms it is too late. To prevent it, use a raised bed with lots of sphagnum peat moss. Prevention with fungicides and careful control of exposure to high humidity may be practical. [Return to Problem Menu]

Botryosphaeria dothidea causes leaves to turn dull green and then brown and roll and droop. Cankers form on branches which may girdle the branch. This is the most common disease of rhododendron in the landscape. A typical symptom of this fungal disease is scattered dying branches on an otherwise healthy plant. Leaves on infected stems turn brown, then droop and roll inward. These leaves often lay flat against the stem and will remain attached. The pathogen can infect all ages of stem tissue through wounds, pruning cuts, and leaf scars. Heat, drought stress, and winter injury can increase disease incidence. Cankers on branches can gradually grow through the wood until the stem becomes girdled. Diseased wood is reddish brown in appearance. Discolored wood viewed in longitudinal cross section often forms a wedge that points toward the center of the stem, and the pith may be darker brown than the surrounding wood. Sanitation and applying a fungicide such as metalaxyl (Subdue) after pruning my provide some control. Plants should be grown in partial shade, with mulch and kept well watered during dry periods. All dying branches should be promptly pruned out in dry weather and all discolored wood should be removed. Plants should also be protected from rough treatment during maintenance activities to prevent unnecessary wounds. [Return to Problem Menu]

Phomopsis rhododendri symptoms vary from leaf spots to chlorosis and then browning of leaves which then wilt. Browning streaks extend down the stem to a wound. Fungicides such as metalaxyl (Subdue) should control an outbreak. Sanitation and applying a fungicide after pruning may provide control. [Return to Problem Menu]

Rhizoctonia solani: causes small necrotic spots on leaves, which later become dark brown or black. Defoliation follows severe leaf spotting. The fungus is omnipresent in the soil and appears to be most virulent at high humidity levels. Microscopic examination of roots and crown are the surest diagnosis. Cultural practices to control this disease include improvement of drainage and avoidance of excess irrigation.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!