Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Beatle Damage

Posted by casanova z7 Newnan, GA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 13:02

I have an azalea that is about 7 years old. This year I have not had time to tend to my azaleas like I would have liked to due to a sick family member.

This year with the same azalea. First is was in need of Iron, which I solved that problem. The leaves looked much better after adding Iron.

My next problem came the beatles. They have nearly destroyed every leaf on the plant which is about 6ft tall. It looks terrible. It looks as if someone went all over it with a weedeater, and just snapped it to pieces.

It is the beatles though. I did have a chance to see it one day with them basically covering it. It's my most beautiful azalea as well. This is the first year they have ever attacked it like this. I don't know why.

My question is what do you suggest I do for this once beautiul azalea? Is there any hope for a beautiful azalea next year? Anything I can do for it now? What products do you suggest? What can I expect to see from this azalea next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Beatle Damage

Japanese beEtles skeletonize the leaves and can certainly defoliate trees and shrubs. They don't cause stem damage, though....if that is what you meant to describe. If your plant is chopped up (which is what your description sounds like), something else was in there, too!

Plants that have had their leaves chewed up by Japanese beetles are capable of recovering. These insects leave the covered buds alone. Next year, I would expect this plant to behave in a normal fashion, as long as defoliation is the only injury.

In your area, avoid fertilization at this time of year, since that would be very counterproductive for the plant and do just the opposite of what it needs....to manufacture and conserve energy. Just keep your plant mulched and watered during the dry times and let mother nature be the doctor.

Next year, you will need to take some precautions against another major infestation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here