Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Dwarf Rhodie's for back of house in dappled sun

Hi, I have 1 PJM Elite I put in the front of my house by my front porch this spring that is doing amazing. I now want to put an informal row of dwarf rhodie's along 1 half of the back of my house (other side gets more sun). The bed is about 20' long x 2 1/2' deep. This area in the spring before leafout, gets about 3-3 1/2 hours direct-dappled sun, after leaf out, it only gets about 1hr direct sun than the rest dappled to shade. I have a full size maple not too far from my house that shades this area. The bed is OK on moisture being right next to the house. I know I would have to water the first year, but I think after that they would be ok. Just a bit away from the house it can get wet, but no standing water.

I was at a loss of what to put here, but after looking at my PJM today, it dawned on me to try them on the back. I was thinking Purple Gem? I saw them when I bought my PJM and I thought they were soo cute and I do want a small size, but am unsure if the lower sun amount would be ok for them back there?

Any suggestion's?

Melissa1977

Comments (2)

• rhodyman
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PJM is more shade tolerant. I would go with that or Ramapo. 'Ramapo' is a good dwarf rhododendron. It grows approximately 2 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Flowers are bright violet-pink. 'Ramapo' is hardy to -25F. Tolerates sun and shade.

The problem with PJM is that most forms bloom so early they can get frozen back while they are blooming. 'Molly Fordham' is an exception. There are several different forms of PJM if you want some variety. They are:

'Black Satin' has a semi-erect habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, dark rose-pink flowers in mid-April. Fall and winter foliage is glossy and very dark purplish-black.

'Counterpoint' is a deciduous shrub with a spreading, upright habit, and bears an abundance of showy, semi-double, vivid, bright pink flowers in mid-April.

'Desmit' has a dense, mounding habit and bears an abundance of vivid, showy, pink flowers in early April. This cultivar has shown to be moderately resistant to sun scalding.

'Elite' is a vigorous, tall grower and bears an abundance of vivid, showy, rich pink flowers in mid-April.

'Henry's Red' has a broad, upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, deep red flowers beginning in mid-April.

'Laurie' is a slow grower with a compact habit, bearing an abundance of showy, single to semi-double, very light pink flowers beginning in mid to late April.

'Low Red Frilled' has a spreading, short, compact habit and bears an abundance of showy, frilled, vivid red flowers beginning in mid-April.

'Marathon' is a deciduous cultivar with a semi-erect habit, and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, magenta flowers beginning in mid-April.

'Molly Fordham' has a compact habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, white flowers beginning in early May.

'Northern Rose' has a semi-upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, bright pink flowers beginning in mid-April. This rhododendron is the result of a cross between R. 'Waltham' and R. mucronulatum 'Cornell Pink.' It was first developed by Dr. Robert Ticknor.

'Olga Mezzitt' is a vigorous grower with a spreading, upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, peach-pink flowers beginning in late April.

'Regal' is a vigorous grower with a broad, spreading habit which bears an abundance of showy, vivid, light purplish-pink flowers beginning in mid-April.

'Victor' is a slow grower with a compact habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, light purplish-pink flowers in early April.

'Waltham' has a dense, mounding habit, to 3 feet tall and wide, and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, pink flowers beginning in mid-April. Leaf spotting occurs when exposed to full sun.

'Weston's Pink Diamond' is a semi-evergreen shrub with a spreading, upright habit and bears an abundance of frilled, double, vivid, pink flowers in early April.

'White Angel' is a semi-evergreen shrub with an upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, white flowers, which open from lavender buds, beginning in mid-April.

Good luck!

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for your response rhodyman. I will pass on the Purple Gem and see if I can find some of the other's next spring or discounted this fall.

Melissa1977

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida