Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesclaw121

Pruning Bushes and Hedges in 90 degree heat

eaglesclaw121
12 years ago

We are about to have all of our azaleas and rhodadendrons pruned. We live in Northern Virginia and the weather is calling for low 90's . Is it bad to prune in this type of heat, i.e. will it cause damage to the bushes? Thanks

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Not really but the timing is not good because during this time of the year is when the flower buds for Spring 2012 develop. So if you prune now, you would be pruning next year's blooms. A better time would be after they flower but before the start of July.

But if you have to prune, then prune. Your heat (low 90s) does not sound too bad as long you maintain the soil evenly moist. Azaleas have adventitious buds that will trigger growth of another branch just about anywhere you prune. But I would not prune this time of the year here though. The shrubs are heat stressed, the area is under an exceptional drought and August is when we have the hottest temperatures (105-115 temperatures). If I were a plant, I would not like to mess with blooming or developing new stems now; just give me a drink of water and let me go semi-dormant until the cooler Fall temperatures arrive. Hee hee hee!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Luis is right, this is the wrong time of year to prune azaleas and rhododendrons - a professional should know they are removing next years flower display. The best time to prune is immediately after flowering.

If the shrubs are dense, pruning now and exposing lower inner leaves to sun will lead to those leaves burning too, they won't be used to as much light as they will get - and you'll have the burned foliage to view until it is disguised again by new.

If a nearby by project is forcing you to prune now, it won't cause permanent damage :) but if you are simply doing landscape maintenance you may want to wait.

• eaglesclaw121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

okay, thanks very much - I'd hate to be a shrub in this weather too.

• eaglesclaw121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aside from the blooming issue, is there a "best time" to prune azaleas and rhodas? We're thinking of holding off until late September, knowing they won't bloom next spring but the heat won't kill them either.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

A weather dependent question -

Desire to see them bloom aside, late winter or early spring in mild climates, spring after hard frost no longer threatens where winter is more severe. Dormant growth buds start to mature following pruning, and late winter pruning will have them ready to grow when the growing season begins. This is especially important in areas with rough winters, gives new growth the longest possible growing /maturing time before onset of cold again.

You really should avoid Fall pruning in cold-winter climates - cold damage will be more severe around pruning wounds than unpruned parts of the shrubs. If your Fall happens to be unusually long and warm (as it can be here) and dormant buds begin to sprout, a turn to hard freeze can damage those.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?