Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ok to plant in august

Posted by janey1lee 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 17:57

I have a spot in my garden that is partial shade. I would like to plant a couple of azaleas and rhododendron. Normally, they are sold in my area (NY metro) in the Spring. I did see one garden center that still has them. Can they be planted in august?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ok to plant in august

They are mostly sold in spring because that is when they are in bloom and bring higher prices and more customers. Actually fall is the best time to plant. The catch is that they have to still be healthy when you plant them. Some garden centers, like those in big box stores where the help aren't especially good plant experts, may have trouble keeping them alive through the summer. If they are still healthy in the fall, then that is the best time to plant. The only caveat is that you must mulch them well so that frost heave doesn't toss them right out of the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o
RE: ok to plant in august

I think that planting container-grown azaleas at this time of year is fine, with a little bit of extra care (watering). Quite honestly, they would probably be far better off being planted than having to endure the rest of the summer at a nursery.

By planting them now, you'd have less frost heaving as the plants will have had some time to establish some roots into the surrounding soil system. I'd suggest that you do not fertilize at planting time, in case you were thinking about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here