Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seegaye

'vivid' azalea

seegaye
14 years ago

Anyone have info on the azalea known as 'vivid'? I have searched the net with little to no result. I would like to know more about the plant before I settle on it for bordering my sidewalk.

Also, "conversation piece".

Any and all descriptions, experience, would be helpful.

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

Vivid is an evergreen azalea introduced at Arnold Arboretum in Boston in the 1800's by Charles Sander. It is a strong red that blooms early midseason with low, dense spreading habit. from Fred Galle's book Azaleas

• seegaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! Sounds like what I may be looking for. I need something with compact growth habit, somewhat 'tidy' in appearance, to border my walkway. I have a dappled shade area under large oaks. I wonder why there is not more info out there on this one?

I appreciate your answer!

• seegaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been through another unsuccessful internet search! I am trying to find a photo of the 'Vivid' azalea but all I get are pictures of other azaleas that have the word 'vivid' as a description of the bloom colors! Does anyone have a photo or a link to a picture of the variety of azalea known as 'Vivid'?

Thanks!

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

There is a lousy photo at:

Azalea Vivid

{{gwi:397615}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:397615}}

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

below is a link for 'conversation piece'.
    i have this one and it is basically a pink and will throw out variations of pink and white or dark and light pink.
    this is linked to the azalea society of america website. you can back out of this to the entire collection by alphabet and find images for a plethora of other azaleas.
    no 'vivid' listed with them, though. perhaps it is a very recent introduction.
    agree with rhodyman; that photo would not sell me on the cultivar at all! it looks like a washed out red but am sure it's just a poor quality picture.
    i don't have many red azaleas (prefer whites, pinks and lavenders) but i do have 'hershey red' and it's a pure red to my eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'conversation piece'

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

It is not recent, it was introduced at Arnold Arboretum in Boston in the 1800's by Charles Sander as I mentioned above. It is not found too often.

The ASA site is a collection of photos and they are missing many cultivars.

• seegaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Rhodyman and Jeff for your answers! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. And thank you Rhodyman for your valuable info. I have visited your site and found it wonderful.

Well, the Vivid is now an integral part of my landscape. I have planted about 35 of them so far. I may need to get a good photo and post it when they bloom. Then others that are looking on the web can have more than the one to look at. Mine have little blooms on them (randomly) right now. At a glance they look much like a little rose bud. I would describe them as a scarlet lipstick red. Not orangey - more to the scarlet side but definitely red and not pink. I dont know how they will look when in full bloom but will find out soon enough. I am sure that I will get at least one pretty plant out of the many that I have planted. At least I HOPE so!!

The conversation piece is very pretty. Perhaps I will incorporate some into my garden as time goes by. I need to get some main areas done but after they are finished I will be able to liesurely enjoy the acquisition of lovely varieties here and there.

Thanks again!

Sponsored