Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy reblooming azalea for zone 5 or 6

Posted by Dilettante z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 18:57

Hi! I've read that there are reblooming azaleas that are hardy to zone 5 or 6. Could anyone recommend any (preferably in pink)? Where can I find them?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy reblooming azalea for zone 5 or 6

If you are talking about Encore azaleas, fuggetaboutit in z5 and most of z6.
I'm in a warmer end of z6, tried twice with no success, even though last winter was warmer than norm.
The most northern place I know of where they grow and bloom twice is a Longwood Gardens in PA (borderline of z6/z7).

o

Thanks. I've heard that there's another series called Bloom 'N Again that is hardier than the Encore series. There are a few azaleas (such as 'Arabesk') in the Bloom 'N Again series that are supposed to be hardy to Zone 5, which would be perfect for me. (I'm on the border of Zone 5 and 6.) I don't know, though, if that means that they rebloom in zone 5, or merely survive?

So far, I've only been able to find them listed at wholesale sites, not retailers, and I haven't seen any photos. I'd love to hear someone who has succeeded in growing them in their northern range.

o

i have not tried these yet but may do it just to compare them with the encores. cold hardiness is not an issue here and i did not realize that they are rated to -10 degrees f.
would that minimum work in your climate?
here is a link to their website with photos and descriptions.
our local home depot garden center stocks them. you might try one of those stores in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: bloom n' again azaleas

o

Jeff, thanks for the link.
I didn't know 'Fascination' belongs to B-N-A series.
It's sometimes available in my local HD, but I wasn't impressed by its salmon with light pink throat flowers and always pass on it, though plants always were look robust.
It is listed as 0 to -10F hardy and I seriously doubt it will rebloom here. Our summers are simply not hot and long enough to make new buds go thru all cycle from forming to blooming in 3 months and then have sufficient time to form and harden new buds for the spring bloom.

o

Thanks, Jeff. From what EGO45 said, this may not be such a smart idea in my area. The closest source for Bloom 'N Again azaleas, according the web site, is Virginia -- not a good sign. I'll think I'll pass unless I hear something more encouraging (from a gardener, not a seller).

o

Hi there:
This is the first thread under Bloom N Again Azaleas.
I got three different plants three years ago. None have
ever bloomed a second time. I live in zone 7, so I would think they would. They bloom beautiful in the Spring ,but never again in the Fall.

o

Fall blooming is a defect in most azaleas. It usually means that the blooms that were meant for the spring started to open in the fall and probably got frozen back and will never form good flowers in the fall or in the spring. In the south, when they sport in the fall, there is usually no frost to kill the flower so everyone likes it. The trick is to have plants that will reliably sport a certain percentage of the flowers in the fall and keep a significant number for the spring. I don't think you will be happy with any advertised as fall bloomers for Zone 5 or 6, at least not with todays plant materials. In fact the main problem with some early azaleas in Zone 5 or 6 is late frosts which will kill early blooms. Rhododendron PJM is in that category for us. It is a very hardy, very good plant, but blooms early and the flowers get frozen back some years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron & Azaleas Pages

o

The amount of sun they get will have a major effect on the amount of rebloom. I'd put them in as much sun as they can take. I saw a very nice yard full of encores this summer blooming in early August and I plan on driving past them today while I'm in the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here