Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spots and leaf drop on Azalea indica

Posted by lowcountrybird SC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 19:45

I have three formosa azaleas planted in a raised bed next to the house. One seems near death and the others have started having leaf drop, brown spots, curled edges of leaves. We recently replanted that bed because of their unhealthy appearance in spite of attempts to make them better.

Today I saw some flying bugs around them for the first time.

I have a photo posted in the gallery of this forum with the same subject.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azalea/hpgal08075723569.html

Any guidance would be appreciated on possible causes and solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post in Gallery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spots and leaf drop on Azalea indica

The leaves definitely have developed a fungal infection. I wonder what caused the problem to "explode" like that. Can you try to determine if the pest you have noticed is Azalea Bark Scale? Common in July-ish and it secretes a honeydew that sort of looks like in the picture and which helps fungual infections develop.

Otherwise, is your weather promoting high humidity levels? Or do you do overhead watering on the leaves? How much water do you give them per watering?

o

luis:

Thank you for your reply.

I will check on the bark scale.

The droplets on the leaves are there because I had just sprayed the plants with All Season's Spray Oil in a desperate attempt to help them out.

VERY HIGH humidity levels here this summer.

We do spray with water to water that area.

I do not do the watering, so I will have to ask my other half how long he waters at each time.

I will now hit them with a fungicide spray in the morning and hope that helps - how often should one treat them with the fungicide?

Thanks!

o

If this is honeydew from scale, try using water and your hand to remove it. You can apply dormant and-or horticultural oils to control nymphs and-or crawler adults.

The link below has pictures to help you Id some azalea pests.

PS - I suggest watering the soil, not the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Pest Information From Clemson University

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here