Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonny300

Fertilizering-sometimes the rules dont apply

sonny300
16 years ago

Because I planted my Rhodos too close to the Douglas Firs and Western Red Cedars, I have had to limb-up considerbly.That was beneficial, and also this year I applied my fertilizer the first week of Feb.(10-8-6) because it takes a long time for the spring rain to break thru that canopy. And I have been watering as I always have for the past 10 years or so.

Here is where I broke the rules. In April, May, June , and lastly on July 10 this year, I used a liquid (15-30-15).like Miracle Grow. And for the first time, there are many,many flower buds"those nice fat plump ones" that will bring flowers next spring.

I did this after reading a book my sister bought for me written by Kenneth Cox. Basically Douglas Firs are rather greedy, and when the limbing-up didnt work, and the extra water didnt work , well I decided to "break the rules", and that seems to have to worked. It seems that if you are going to be as (foolish) as I was and plant to close to those majestic giants, then extra nitrogen will not just produce leafy plants and no flowers, rather a fertilizer like 15-30-15 will be used by the Rhodos to produce flower buds. *This does not mean that this applies to all forested acreages. I dont pretend to know what other kinds of trees are as greedy as the aformentioned. I would like to offer a special thanks to Morz8 and Rhodyman for their help and encouragment, and would advise others to follow their advice. * Dont do what I am doing unless you have tried what they suggest first. For most situations-the advice they give you is the best you can obtain.My situation is somewhat different , I have been growing Rhodos for 20 years, and this next spring looks like the best flowering season ever and that is what gardening is all about-try everything, and then do what is best for your own situation and when you find a solution that works for you ENJOY.

Comments (3)

• botann
    16 years ago

In your situation I would think that adding some fertilizer is the rule. The proof is in the 'pudding'.

When I worked at a nursery years ago, my boss said fertilize the Rhodies when the month begins with M. (March and May) We were growing rhodies for resale and got them to bud real good. They also received additional water from sprinklers as they were grown in full sun for the most part.

In my garden I rarely, if ever, fertilize my rhododendrons. Mulching and good soil prep makes fertilizing unnecessary.
    I do have a few planted too close to trees and they require extra care. Some of those are going to be moved this Fall as soon as the temps dip and the rains come.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Some nitrogen is necessary for rhododendrons to bloom. It is best applied in the spring before they bloom or around when they bloom. Not much is needed so most mature plantings are not fertilized. Too much nitrogen or nitrogen applied late in the season can force late season growth that gets killed or stunted by frost damage.

Phosphorus promotes flower bud production and hardiness. Potassium is necessary for well being. Both of these can be applied anytime.

• sonny300
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you botann and rhodyman for your observations. I can only guess that my fertilizing with small quantities of 15-30-15 and that is basically just trying to pour some over the leaves that the rhodos actually are only getting something like 5-10-5 in benefit. Because like Ken Cox says, douglas firs are rather greedy. I`m actually wondering if the only fertilizer they are really getting is that which is absorbed thru the leaves? You should know that we are talking about fir trees that are close to a hundred years old (not little saplings)lol. And I did manage to move 9 rhodos to my lawn set about 8ft apart, and in spite of the competition from the grass, and (only one application of fertilizer in May) yep, they have nice plump buds, all of them. However, even with a acre+ I`m not wanting to clear away any more salal and oregon grape etc. and give myself yet another area to water. So will continue the extra food and water in the forest and see if the good results continue in years to come. One thing is clear, it seems that when I`m feeding my rhodos in the forest, I`m also feeding those other majestic giants.lol Thanks guys

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner