Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is there any hope for my rhododendron?

Posted by allthumbs75 Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 22:00

I've had a rhododendron in the front of my house for 5 or 6 years. After the first few, it started looking really sparse, and chunks of it began dying off. This spring, I moved the sick plant to the back yard shade, where it's doing a little better, and put a new capistrano rhody in the same place in the front. It's dying quickly. Leaves are curling up, the ones underneath are turning brown branch by branch, and even the upper branches are looking yellow and spotted.

When I bought the new plant, it had some yellowish branches underneath, and a few spots on the leaves. The nursery said it was from watering the plants when they were packed in tight on display, but that it would go away. I was careful to water it faithfully for the first several weeks, and tried to water the base of the plant, rather than from the top.

When it started to look worse, I was told that I may be over watering, so I mostly stopped. We haven't had much rain, and it has still not improved.

I have very sandy soil, and it's pretty hot out there for several hours in the afternoon. I have trouble keeping anything else watered enough. It's hard to believe this could have root rot... but watering did not seem to help.

How can I tell if this is root rot, drought, or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is there any hope for my rhododendron?

Capistrano is more prone to fungal root diseases than many other rhodendrons, so it's entirely possible it was already infected when you bought it. These root diseases flourish when the soil is overly wet and hot. Plants at the nursery in black containers placed in direct sun and overwatered can and do develop it rapidly.

Your sandy soil should supply the good drainage and aeration Capistrano needs as long as you did not plant it too deeply, but extended periods of direct sun are not good for any yellow flowered rhodendrons. Even if they grow OK - which most will not - direct sun bleaches out the yellow color.

If the nursery where you bought the plant offered any kind of warranty, I'd use it and replant in an area of more shade.

o

Thanks for the response.

If I move the capistrano and replant something else there, is there a danger that the new plant will become infected as well?

It gets afternoon sun for 2-3 hours. Any suggestions for other varieties that can handle a bit more sun, or other flowering evergreens that might do well there?

o

I bought a rhodedendron and also a azalia plant, we bought the proper soil to plant it in but the plant has lost all its leaves and looking pretty dead, what did I do wrong?
Did it have too much sunshine?

o

It's really impossible to help without more information. Such asvariety, planting technique, your local weather, appearance of the plants, etc.,etc.,etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here