Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tell me about deciduous azaleas

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 22:53

I've always been intrigued by them, but never saw one for sale.

I'm in Maryland, zone 7A. Looking to buy/build in the next year though and could end up in zone 6B or 7A in this general region...so let's say I'm looking for anything hardy to zone 6B.

Soils are generally fairly acid already, from about 4.8pH to around a max of 6. Mostly silty clay loam or somewhere in that range.

What are some good deciduous azaleas for this area? I've seen mostly species deciduous azaleas for sale from places like Mail Order Natives, a couple hybrids from Greer Gardens...any other good sources?

Which ones have good bloom and good fall color too that would do well for me?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tell me about deciduous azaleas

Fairweather Garden in NJ, Whitney Gardens in WA, Rarefind Nursery in NJ. Many others as well. Just Google "deciduous azaleas for sale,"

There is a vast number of hybrids and species, including nearly all the native North American ones, that should do just fine in your area.

o

Deciduous azaleas are well known for their bright colors and cold hardiness. However what is less well known is that some get mildew on the leaves around mid season. Here are some that do well in SE Pennsylvania and should do well for you. Listed is (series), height in 10 years, cold hardiness, etc.

Candy Lights (Northern Lights) 5', -35F. Fragrant, Mildew Resistant.
Gibraltar (Exbury) 5’, -25F, Mildew Resistant
Klondyke (Exbury) 5', -20F,
Millennium (Weston) 4', -20F. Mildew Resistant, Fragrant
Narcissiflora (Ghent) 6', -15F, Mildew Resistant, Fragrant
Tri-Lights (Northern Lights) 5’, -25F, Mildew Resistant
Weston's Innocence (Weston) 3', -25F. Mildew Resistant, Fragrant
Weston’s Lemon Drop (Weston) 4’, -35F, Mildew Resistant, Fragrant

Note, Klondyke is not listed as mildew resistant, but mine seldom gets mildew and we have morning dew just about every day as you probably do also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deciduous Azaleas

o

You're not looking hard enough. http://findnativeplants.com/mid-atlantic/maryland-native-plants/

They're available and you do not have to go mail order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here