Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joek_2007

Drastic pruning of Mountain Laurel

joek_2007
16 years ago

We have some 45 year old Mountain Laurel which are 10 feet tall. They are completely woody for most the plants from the ground to about 5 feet up. My only two options are to either pull them up or try cutting them in half. If I cut them in half would they have a chance of reguvinating? I have read on this forum about 1/3rd pruning old growth at the base for 3 years but we need to get the height down right away. I really hate to kill these majestic plants. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• joek_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Really, I guess I am asking about severe pruning.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Richard Jaynes, the world expert on Kalmia (Mountain Laurel) says:

Plants lacking lower branches present a challenge. There are two approaches for these plantsÂneither are ideal, but each is better than cutting the tops off and leaving 2 to 3 ft. of naked stems. One approach is to remove the plants and replace them with smaller bushes of the desired shape; this is drastic but gives immediate results. The other approach is to cut the overgrown plants to within 2 to 3 inches of the ground, best done in early spring. The plants will re-sprout and become dense and multi-stemmed, but it may take three to four years for them to reach flowering size again. [Richard A. JaynesÂ"Kalmia, Mountain Laurel & Related Species",1997]

Your success will be better if there is not too much shade. Shade is one thing that makes them tall and lanky.