Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
northern light azalea

Posted by quiltrunner montana - 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 23:55

I just bought 2 northern lights hardy azaleas on clearance. I planted them on north east corner, next to a fence that I'm hoping to fill in. Any chance this will survive this late in the season and more shade than I realized when I put it there (under large blue spruce trees)? How do I add more acid to the soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: northern light azalea

Fall planting is no problem if the nursery took proper care of them. The problem with plants from big box stores is that many different unskilled people are taking care of them and it is a miracle if they survive. Assuming they are healthy, they should be OK. The main problem is frost heaving in the winter if you get freeze/thaw cycles. It is best to prevent this by using a good 2 to 3 inches of mulch. This is good for the azaleas anyway.

Usually plants from big box stores are in a media that dries out quickly so they don't drown them. You can tell when they dry out by the weight of the pot. If it gets light quickly, then water frequently. If it does in fact dry out very quickly, when you plant them, it is a good idea to soak them for about an hour and get rid of some of the potting material .

They need about 3 hours of sun a day to form blossoms. With less light, they may just be nice green bushes. If it is too shady, you can either prune off some of the lower spruce branches, or move the azaleas to a sunnier location. Since the azaleas formed their buds for next year's flowers this summer, you will have to wait 2 years to see if they will bloom where you plant them now.

The best ways to acidify soil are sulfur dust or ferric sulfate. It is best to test the soil so you know how much you need. Unless the leaves turn yellow with green veins, the acidity of the soil is not a big problem. If you are in the mountains, chances are you have acidic soil. If you are in the plains, then the soil could be alkaline, in which case you would need to build up a raised bed to have a place where you could place acidic soil. It is very hard to keep soil acidic in a hole in alkaline soil. That is why they use raised beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o
RE: northern light azalea

Thank you for the info. I feel better. I may have to prune the spruces back, but that's okay. They are HUGE!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here