Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidiheehiho

Rehabilitating a Rhododendron

heidiheehiho
12 years ago

I have been terrible at maintaining my yard and plants. I used to dislike gardening. So, I would kill most of my plants, one way or another. Either by purposely pulling them up or mowing over them or throwing yard waste on them, pretending it was "mulch".

I must be changing, because now I actually like gardening. I have cleaned up my beds, transplanted some plants to more appropriate areas, trimmed the overgrown bushes and reconfigured a flower bed.

Recently, when cleaning up the side of my house, I found a rhododendron that was barely hanging on to life. It was barely a foot tall and growing sideways. It has only a few small leaves. I had flashbacks of a once proud, shrub, with fiery red flowers in the spring. I don't remember exactly what I did to it, but it must have been a couple years ago (I did not touch anything in my yard this year, until last week). It also must have involved excessive trimming and "mulching".

I decided to dig it up and place it in a very large pot with "good" soil, and place it in full sun. I live in the southern tip of Indiana. It is zone 6a.

What are the chances of survival/thriving? Should I take it inside for the winter or offer some sort of winter protection? Any advice?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH