Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botann

What is name of June blooming Rhododendron?

botann
16 years ago

I have a rather large Rhododendron I acquired years ago in a trade that blooms in June. I have never known the name. Perhaps someone here can help me.

{{gwi:397989}}

Thank you.

Comments (6)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

One possibility is:

Ladybird [fortunei ssp discolor x Corona], Flower openly funnel-shaped, wavy edges, coral pink with darker markings in the throat. Held in dome-shaped trusses.

Height in 10 Yrs: 6 ft.
    Cold Hardiness Temperature: -10°F (-23°C)
    Leaves glossy, dark green. Vigorous grower with open habit.

• botann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Rhodyman. That helps a lot.
    Here is a picture of it growing in the garden.

{{gwi:397990}}

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

Oh my, it's lovely!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Picture linked to on this page shows something else. (Don't know the plant, can't say if photo is correct - it doesn't really look like what might be expected. Picture might have been taken at a collection where the plant has the wrong label or sign on it). Greer's Guidebook to Available Rhododendrons says only (in the narrative) that

"Exceptional, very late flowering pink flowers are held in large trusses. This is one of the most difficult plants to propagate."

Here is a link that might be useful: beautifulbotany.com - Botanical R-S - Stock Photography by Janet Davis

• botann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're right bboy, it doesn't match. Looks like I'm back to square one.
    Mine is also hard to propagate. I have tried numerous times and haven't been successful yet. Hormones, bottom heat, and automatic misting under lath works for most other cuttings, but not this one so far.
    Thank you Ron.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Well, then maybe it is that one. Refusing to root certainly fits Greer's depiction. Parentage suggests something resembling a darker, smaller-parted R. fortunei might be likely, from what can be seen of your plant in your picture it could be like that.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County