Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea issues

Posted by kelly6780 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 07 at 9:28

I got five large encore azaleas for free at the end of June. They were free b/c the nursery they were at was WAY overstocked. Anyway, I planted them and fed them and made sure not to overwater them. I guess they were in the five gallon pots. Anyway, we had severe drought here this HOT sumemr and all the leaves are brown and they are pretty gross looking. I have broken a few of the branches put they are still very flexible and green in the center. So, what do I do? I can handle it if they look bad until spring. But, I would like to thin about replacing them now if they are done for. I really love azaleas, plus these were free. Is this the transplantation shock of big plants? I need help!! Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea issues

Azaleas transplant very easily. They may have been free because the nursery knew they would need special care for some reason. If they have any green leaves, they will make it if they are kept watered when they look droopy. If all leaves are brown, then they are probably in very bad shape. Since it is nearly fall already, you can wait until next spring and see if any buds open.

Container plants from nurseries typically need watering every day until they are planted. They use a "fool-proof" media that drains very quickly so the nursery won't have to worry about root rot and can water them every day. The problem is when people like you and I buy these plants and aren't told this, we handle them like typical azaleas in the ground and water sparingly until we discover they aren't doing well. Then we panic and start watering them when they look droopy which is nearly every other day. If you didn't water during the drought, they are dead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here