Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thane_gw

'Autumn Moonlight' blooms spring, summer and fall?

thane
17 years ago

Hello, all. I apologize if this is too much of a newbie question, but it seemed more azalea-specific, so I thought I'd try it here.

In this listing, the azalea "Autumn Moonlight" is described as blooming "heavily in spring, lightly in summer, and profusely in fall".

This seems too good to be true! Are there many varieties that bloom throughout the year like this? Has anyone seen or planted Autumn Moonlight?

Comments (6)

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

A nursery is breeding azaleas for fall bloom and they are all named "Autumn ...". They are called Encore Azaleas and are sold primarily in the South. In fact, there are no dealers for Encore Azaleas west of Texas. I am sure people are trying them in your area, but I don't know their results. The Encore people don't have any references to people successfully growing them in Oregon or Washington or anywhere near there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas

• thane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply, rhodyman. I might try some and let you all know how it goes.

• jeff_al
    17 years ago

even the encore website does not mention blooms in summer so i think that other site is embellishing to make a sale.
    from my experience, "heavily" and especially "profusely" are not accurate descriptions. sure, they flower in spring and fall but in neither season are they equivalent to the shrubs that are completely covered in flowers during spring such as the classic southern indicas or kurumes.
    i grow several encores and like them mainly for their autumn flowering which might be described as a severe-spattering of color! ;-)
    the spring show seems underwhelming with so many other good varieties available.

• sweetpea82
    17 years ago

I just bought 3 autumnn moonlight from lowes and they have just a few pure white blooms right now! Very pretty! They had to sit in their 1 gallon pots a couple of days before I could get them into the ground and I swear they have already grown noticeably - they are supposed to be "robust, upright" growers and, I know its too soon to say how they will do, but I am excited!

• merryd
    17 years ago

I've been trying to decide which of the Encores I wanted and have been learning what I can and trying to observe those planted around town. The biggest thing is getting plenty of sun and there fore plenty of water for good long lasting bloom-especially during bloom. The variety Embers does indeed bloom as they claim. I've seen them planted and have watched their behavior and are recomended as the best by the nurseries. The Coral variety is blooming well here now but I wasn't aware of them before but from what I've read they are also a pretty good performer. Right now both of what I've seen have the bloom coverage of the Knockout roses-pretty good coverage but with lots of green also showing. I came on here just to ask a question about some other varieties because I haven't noticed them around town like the others.

• tsbaumstark_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but wanted to share my experience with the four Autum Moonlight plants I put in last Spring. Two of the four have periodically been covered with ridiculous quantities of blooms - just gorgeous! - and the other two have been more sporadic. The two that bloomed did so without stopping from spring through fall - no kidding - and were so pretty I bought a few more. Hopefully they'll do well also. But I do have to say for the growth habit that I have been a bit dismayed by how slow-growing they've been. They hardly look bigger to me now than when I planted them. Anyway, hope that helps!

Sponsored