Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnyb_gw

Sick azaelea

lynnyb
11 years ago

I planted a new azaelea 2 years ago and it flowered well but later in the year the leaves turned reddish brown with dark veins. I forgot how sickly it was and just left it. The same thing has happened this year. Does anyone know what this is and is there anything I can do to save the plant?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You're going to have to help us help you, lynn. This is sort of like a patient going to a doctor saying, "I've got a headache. What's wrong with me and what are you going to do to fix it?"

Do you have the azalea in an appropriate environment (soil pH, sun exposure, water, etc.), does the soil drain properly, what kind of after care did the plant receive, what kind of azalea is it, and what is your location. That kind of stuff.

• lynnyb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's in a slightly raised be that gets sun most of the day. There are plenty of rhododendrons and azaleas thriving, close by and we are in the Lake District, UK with slightly acidic soil. We took a large phormium (8 foot high) that had been battered by heavy snowfall, out of that spot before planting the azalea. I can't remember the name of the type of azalea but it has creamy yellow flowers.

• rhodyman
    11 years ago

That sound like the fall foliage of many deciduous azaleas. All yellow azaleas are deciduous*, so you are probably just looking at a feature, not a problem. In the spring the new leaves are a beautiful green, slightly wrinkled and slightly hairy.

*There are a number of evergreen azaleas with flowers of light cream to greenish yellow, but nothing approaches the yellows found in the deciduous azaleas.

• lynnyb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The azalea is Knap-hill-hybrid Daviesii and the foliage looked bad in July so I don't think it was normal leaf fall. Unfortunately I didn't see it earlier in the year as I was away.

• rhodyman
    11 years ago

The reddish brown foliage is the normal fall foliage color. If a plant is not happy in its situation such as not enough light or water, it will go into dormancy early and show this fall foliage.

• Matt Webster
    11 years ago

I also have a sick azalea.
    I'm in the Atlanta area. It's a well established, mature azalea. It's trimmed, but even being trimmed, it's 5' tall. It's a pink/red one time spring bloomer. It gets probably a little more sun than you'd prefer an azalea to get, but given its size and that it's established, I don't think that's been a problem. It's well mulched with cyprus, and previously with pine needles. Evergreen.

We moved into the house in April, so I don't know the variety or exactly how old it is.

I cut a small dead brown spot from it in May or so, but in the last few days I noticed this large spot- probably 20% or more of the plant. Is there anything I can do to save the plant?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES