|I live in Massachusetts and I would like to plant several groupings of native Azaleas and Rhododendrons in my yard. Anyone know where I can find a good list for my area?|
|My website lists all 26 native rhododendron and azaleas in the USA. It is at: |
Hank Schannen's Rare Find Nursery in New Jersey carries the following native azaleas and rhododendrons:
R. (AZALEA) alabamense 'Frosty' AKA 'Terry Greer'
They all are native plants but they are selected as being the best forms of the plants. Some are named, others aren't.
Another great place to buy native Azaleas and Rhododendrons is Jim Gear's Octoraro Farm Nursery. Jim is a native plant specialist and has the following:
R. alabamense - (Alabama Azalea)
A major rhododendron nursery near you is Weston Nurseries in Hopkinton, MA near I 495 and the Mass Pike. They carry a few native plants:
Rhododendron canadense 'Rhodora Azalea'
There are some plants native to the West Coast that don't seem to make it on the East Coast, so be careful of ordering from a West Coast nursery. Good Luck.
Here is a link that might be useful: Common Native Rhododendrons and Azaleas of North America
|To be more specific, plants which are native to parts of Massachusetts include: |
Rhododendron canadense 'rhodora azalea'
The USDA has a good site for finding which plants grow native in any area. It is at: http://plants.usda.gov/index.html
Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Plants Database for Rhododendrons
|i like these growers (but they are located in the south): |
Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here